PGVWiki talk:Community Portal
Suggested Naming Conventions
A Place for Discussion around this topic
- This sounds good. You are saying that phpGedView will point directly to these pages? The best way to accomplish the header you mention is is via a template inserted into each such page. For example, I have done so at Installation Guide. Tom Haws 09:22, 24 November 2005 (EST)
- Question Is there a compelling reason to make a clean logical split between these sections? Possibly could we keep all the phpGedView articles free of prefixes since that is what this wiki is about in the first place? Under this scenario, I envision a lot of blurring of boundaries. Instead, it might be better to think of those 6 pages as simple jumping off places. ??? Tom Haws 09:22, 24 November 2005 (EST)
- Answer:Yes. Look at all the pages I have created under this premise, especially in the Administrators Guide (What you can not see from the ip address is all the graphics that go with this). It also lets you see where you are in that area very quickly. I can see links from the Administrators Guide to the Users Guide etc so I see this as being very important if we are to do a good documentation process.
- Installation, User, and Admin are clean enough. But where I foresee continual muddling is in How to, FAQ, and Main Page. Suppose you are writing on (or from) Installation:Error messages for an error message that is an installation issue, and the answer is in FAQ, Main Page or How to. Is there any intuitive way to remember as you are writing off the cuff that you should write FAQ:Permissions instead of just Permissions? Maybe what you are proposing is right, but I want to understand that it is going to be easy to write for off the cuff. Let's try another, and tell me if I understand: I am writing for Installation: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: session_set_cookie_params and I want to refer to PHP session support. Should that be Administration:PHP session support, Installation:PHP session support, or neither? Now Error: might be a good namespace. I just don't know. I tend to think let's keep it as simple as possible. I'm having a hard time envisioning it. I sure wish we had that example of a successful documentation wiki. I want to avoid every possible obstacle to success. Tom Haws 15:47, 24 November 2005 (EST)
- Agree This is a subject not strictly about phpGedView, so it should be in a PGVWiki:Namespace. Tom Haws 09:24, 24 November 2005 (EST)
- Agree Not about phpGedView. Needs a namespace. See PGVWiki:Look outward, not inward. Tom Haws 09:29, 24 November 2005 (EST)
- Agree Would it be okay to have shortcut namespaces for redirects only, such as PW:LOIN for PGVWiki:Look outward, not inward and PW:Portal (perhaps) for PGVWiki:Community Portal? Just to save typing. Tom Haws 09:32, 24 November 2005 (EST)
A place for discussion
--Laurie 11:49, 24 November 2005 (EST)--
Tom has suggested the use of shortcuts to make typing easier. The shortcut pages will have redirects to the correctly named pages. I see no issues with this. sorry for losing your original post Tom. Any other thoughs?