If you haven't come across me on the forums, I am one of the PGV developers.
I have been developing software since the late 1970s and contributing to PGV since 2006.
Random thoughts on PGV:
- We should abandon support for PHP4.
- Using classes is not the same thing as OO. OO requires other important concepts such as abstraction and data-hiding.
- We should replace Pear::DB with something that isn't deprecated, such as PDO.
- We should remove all presentation and layout from the HTML and put it in CSS.
- We should use PHP's multibyte and internationalisation libraries instead of wasting time on our own slow/broken version.
- Store everything in the database. This means everything. It includes all the stuff we currently store in files.
- We need a data model that models the data, not one that models gedcom files. This will mean dropping support for synchronised gedcom files (which would be a good thing in itself).
- Replace print_XXX() with print XXX();