(This page under development)
The PGV Administrator manages users who can have different roles (or privileges):
- Site Administrator who can do and see anything on the site and can create new users.
- Gedcom Administrator who can administer Gedcom configuration and privacy and accept changes.
- Acceptor who has edit privileges, and who can also accept or undo changes made by others.
- Editor who can edit anything he or she can see. The changes he or she made need to be accepted by a user with higher access privileges.
- User (authenticated user) has access to the MyGedView portal and can view all public data and those private data that are allowed by privacy settings.
- Public visitor is a visitor that has not authenticated by entering a username and password. Default privacy settings do not give the public visitor an access to the data of living people. Public visitor cannot edit data.
The division between topics covered in Administrators Guide and Users Guide runs more or less in the middle of this list: information in this guide is geared for the Site and Gedcom Administrators and also Acceptors, while the Users Guide covers topics for Ediors and Users, (and also Visitors), with some Acceptor topics as well. Sections below outline responsibilities of the Administrators.
- Install, update and manage PGV
- Perform periodic maintenance (logs, updates, backups, etc.)
- Import and maintain Gedcoms
- Verify and approve changes made by editors, manage media, places and other objects
- Add and mange unlinked and duplicate objects
- Maintain Research Assistant
- Setup and manage multiple sites and site links (optional)
- Customizing themes
- Add-on modules
- Integration with Content Management Systems (optional)
- Modify the menu system (optional). There are two articles on this topic, the second approach required more extensive coding changes
- Write News, Policy rules etc.
- Write and manage FAQ's
- Manage languages