Jump to navigation Jump to search
Charts and Lists
- PDF Reports - The reports menu allows you to generate nice PDF reports of your data for printing. XML report templates allow for simple creation of new reports.
- Fan Chart - Get a unique view of an individual's ancestry using the Fan Chart.
- Ancestry Chart - View the ancestry of a person including aunts and uncles and their spouses.
- Zoom Chart Boxes - On charts you can allow visitors to zoom in on the boxes and get more information and bigger fonts.
- Anniversary Calendar- Lists all of the events that happened on a given date. Filter the events to show only living people or only recent events.
- Relationship Chart- Provides a visual reference of how two individuals link together.
- Timeline Chart- You can now chart up to 6 people on a single timeline. From the timeline chart you can see how people's lives overlapped, find out how old they were at different times and chart the course of their life through time.
- Multiple Generation Pedigree Chart - View as many generations as you want and quickly navigate up and down the pedigree tree. Click on any person or family to get their details.
- General Keyword and Soundex Searches - Search the entire GEDCOM file for keywords or based on Soundex values of individuals last and first names.
- Descendancy Chart Navigation - View descendency charts and move up and down the chart or easily switch branches with simple mouse clicks.
- Place hierachy - Browse through all of the places in your GEDCOM file and quickly see who lived where. For example, start with browsing in the United States, then choose a state such as Arizona, then choose a county. At any time click on the view results link to see who lived in those areas.
- Individual, Family, and Source Lists - View lists of the sources, families, and individuals broken down by surname
- Photos and Multimedia - View photos and other multimedia items in the Multimedia list or attached to records in the Gedcom file.
- RSS Feed - PhpGedview comes with an RSS feed generator for your users who like to view the latest updates read news through RSS feeds.
- GEDCOM Clippings Cart - The clippings cart gives visitors to your site the ability to take Family Tree Clippings from your family tree, download them as a GEDCOM file and import them into their favorite family history program.
- Print Preview Mode- Print your pedigree charts and any other page in PhpGedView without all the headers and footers--just the information that you want.
- Multiple Language Support- PhpGedView has the best international support for alternate languages, dates, times, and sorting. PhpGedView is currently packaged with many languages including Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Spanish [Latin American], Swedish, and Turkish language files. Users can also change the language they are viewing when they visit your site.
- Online Help - There is online contextual help for every page that your visitors can use to help them navigate the site and operate the many different functions in PGV.
- Dynamic Menus - Dynamic drop-down menus make navigating the site quick and easy.
- MyGedView Portal - When users login to your site they will now have the option of using their MyGedView Portal. This portal allows them to keep a list of their favorite people, track messages, see a list of upcoming events, view today's events, and get a random picture. They can also see who else is logged on.
- Customize the MyGedView Portal - Users can customize the location of blocks on their MyGedView portals. They can choose which blocks they want to see and where they should be located on the page.
- View Private Data - When users login they will be given greater access to the private data based on the privacy settings chosen by the administrator. If you use relationship privacy they will only be able to see the data of living people they are related to within a certain distance.
- Favorites - Users can keep bookmarks of their favorite people.
GEDCOM 5.5 Support
- Support for multiple spouses and families- no matter how complex your families may be, PhpGedView will correctly link them together.
- Support for native GEDCOM multimedia objects - Add multimedia files to the scrapbooks in the programs on your home computer and upload them with your gedcom to instantly add photos, videos, or sound to your GEDCOM.
- Excellent support for Notes and Sources - Click on a source and get the links to all the individuals and families that cite that source.
Site Administrator Options
- User Migration Tool - Easily migrate users and settings from index mode to MySQL mode or vice-versa.
- Online Configuration - You don't have to edit any PHP or HTML files to configure PhpGedView. Simply upload the files and your gedcom and the configuration script automatically starts.
- Multiple Gedcom Support - You can add as many gedcom to the site as you want. Each gedcom has its own configuration settings so that they can each have their own theme, language, and privacy settings.
- Multiple Calendar Formats- PhpGedView allows administrators to show dates in alternate calendar formats such as Hebrew, Jewish, Hijri, and Arabic.
- Access, Edit, Accept, and Admin user levels- Administrators may define users can set the editing level that users have when they login. With Access level they will only be able to view data. With Editing level, they will be able to edit data online. Accept users will be able to review and accept or under changes made by other users. Admin users will be able to upload Gedcom files and manage configuration and privacy settings for the gedcoms they can administer.
- Privacy based on relationship - As an administrator you have the option of specifying if you want to use relationship privacy. With relationship privacy authenticated users can only see the details of individuals they are within a certain relationship radius to. See the Privacy Documentation for more information about using the unique privacy options of PhpGedView.
- Privacy Setting Editor - Admins can easily customize the privacy settings for their Gedcom online. With these settings you can hide certain facts or privatize certain individuals in your Gedcom and specify the access level that is needed in order to view the data.
- Choose a unique look with the provided themes - You can use the provided themes to give your site the look and feel you like.
- Customizable Themes - Whether you know a little or lot of HTML you can customize the look and feel of the site by modifying one of the provided themes. The themes are made up of HTML template files and CSS style sheets.
- Merge Records - The merge records option can help you to see the differences between records in your gedcom file and choose how you would like to merge them.
- Online Editing - Administrators can give users edit privileges to add, edit, and delete through online html forms.
- Accept or Undo changes - Administrators are alerted when changes have been made online to the gedcom and they can choose to accept or undo those changes.
- Change Diff View - Users with edit privileges can choose to view an online diff of the changes that have been made.
- Add new people - You can add new people to the Gedcom as children or spouses.
- Edit Names - You can edit the names of people in your gedcom file.
- Add Parents, Children, and Spouses - You can extend your tree online by adding parents children and spouses online.
- Replace your old genealogy program - PhpGedview allows you to replace your old genealogy application and do everything online.
- Collaborate with Family - PhpGedview helps family members work together by allowing them to see all of the latest information and edit it online.
- Remote GDBI Client - PhpGedView has teamed up with the GDBI project to provide a remote Java client that can be used to edit your genealogy data remotely.
Version Specific Features
This section details features that have been introduced in the 4.1.x series since the 4.1.1 release. These should be reasonably small in number since most 4.1.x releases are simply bug fix releases.